GWINNETT COUNTY RESIDENTIAL SERVICES
SET OUT GUIDELINES FOR UNINCORPORATED GWINNETT COUNTY RESIDENTS
Please follow these guidelines to be sure your trash is collected efficiently.
All residential garbage and recyclables will be picked up between 7:00am and 6:30pm, Monday through Friday. Homeowners should put the garbage cart and recycling bins curbside no earlier than 3:30pm the day before pickup day, but prior to 7:00am on collection day. Emptied carts and bins must be removed no later than the day following collection day.
Residential base service includes weekly collection of one 95-gallon bin of solid waste and an unlimited volume of recyclables. Base service also includes collection of bulky items and white goods. Residents should contact their designated hauler directly to schedule bulky item or white good pickup. The cost for residential base service is $18.65 per month, and a senior discount is available to those who qualify. Residential base service fees are billed on your annual property tax bill.
Residential haulers may also provide additional elective services at the request of residents. Fees for elective services are billed by the hauler to the resident and are not regulated by the County.
Please note that Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day are the ONLY trash/recycling holidays in unincorporated Gwinnett County. If your normal collection day takes place on one of these holidays, your collection will be delayed one day. Please contact your city if in live within city limits.
Trash carts and recycling bins should be placed within three feet of the curb or the edge of the street and at least three feet away from any obstacles, preferably on the opposite side of the driveway from the mailbox. The trash cart lid opening should face the street.
- Be sure to rinse out all cans, bottles, and containers before placing them in the recycling bin.
- Put only acceptable materials in recycling bin—no sorting required.
- Break down large cardboard boxes for recycling.
- Recyclable items not placed in 18-gallon recycling bins can be placed in another container as long as the container is clearly marked "Recyclable Items".
- Haulers won't collect recyclables placed in plastic bags since plastic bags cannot be recycled at the curb, and if the recyclables are contained in a bag, your hauler cannot tell if there are unrecyclable materials in the bag and has to assume it is trash. To find which retailers accept plastic bags for recycling, use the recycling directory.
- Yard trimmings must be in biodegradable paper bags, not plastic.
- Tree branches must be tied and bundled – no more than 50lbs. per bundle, no more than four inches in diameter and no more than three feet in length.
- You must contract separately with your hauler for yard waste pickup as it is an elective service paid directly to the hauler.
- $60 for six months of service. A six-month commitment is required.
BULKY ITEMS AND WHITE GOODS:
- Contact your hauler 48 hours prior to your pick-up day to schedule collection.
- Empty all appliances.
- Remove refrigerator door.
- Refrigerator Freon gas must be removed and tagged by qualified technician - no exceptions.
Some types of waste may not be placed curbside for collection by residential haulers. For information on proper disposal of the items on the list below, please view the recycling directory webpage.
- Hazardous waste
- Aerosol cans that are not empty
- Large glass panes
- Biomedical waste
- Construction/demolition waste
- Large tree debris
- Compressed gas cylinders
- Large engine parts
- Ammunition of any type
- Paint solvents
- Small engine parts containing oil or fluids
- Treated wood
- Dead animals (over 10 pounds)